The time I went to a concert alone (and met Poseidon) || 04:29:2017


There is a first time for everything and last Saturday was one of many firsts. I drove to Virginia Beach to attend the sonrise music concert. It was my first time at a beach in America, first time driving to Virginia Beach and the first time in my life I attended a concert alone. 

I didn't know what to expect but on the one hour ride to the Virginia Beach Ocean Front, I realised that I would not be able to stay at the concert till it ended at 11pm...I wasn't up for a midnight drive home. So I decided to make the most of the time I would spend there. 


As a JJC (that's Nigerian parlance for 'newbie'), it took me about 30 minutes to figure out where to park and how to use the street parking meter (that's gist for another post). I parked on 33rd street and the concert was on 24th street but instead of hissing under my breath at the long walk ahead, I decided to enter full tourist mode. 

I had childlike amusement at seeing shirtless men riding bikes, kids on skate boards, bikini clad girls playing beach volley and ocean divers. I breathed in the smoky scent of grilling meat and mixed sounds of music at every street intersection and even saw a man playing the accordion. 

Then I met poseidon and let him wave his turtle over my head. lol. It really was a beautiful monument and even though it was named 'Neptune', I had images of the scene from Hercules where Poseidon came to his aid. 

At the concert, the music was live and loud and the vibe was so good. I stayed through two performers and had to get back to my car to avoid getting a parking ticket. Even though I hadn't gotten to see Mathew West, I was so elated and it was evident because I skipped as I walked. It had been a good day. I had done something I had never done before and I had no regrets. 

I got to my car and saw an envelope neatly tucked behind my whipper. I opened it and it was parking ticket. You can imagine my confusion. That gist, is for the next post. 

Comments

Popular Posts

CONTACT